4 DAY OVERVIEW OF THE SALKANTAY TREK TO MACHU PICCHU
No more Inca Trail spaces in 2020? Do NOT worry! You can now go on a great tour through the snowy Salkantay to one of the New 7 Wonders of the Modern World – Machu Picchu.
National Geographic Adventure Magazine rated the Salkantay trek as one for the 25 Best Treks in the World.
Mount Salkantay (or Nevado Salkantay / Salcantay) is one of the most iconic mountains in the Cusco region and the highest mountain on the Vilcabamba Mountain range. Hikkers on the Salkantay trail spend a day approaching the mountain from the south and then another day in close proximity to the mountain as they scale the Salkantay Pass, which at 4,600m provides amazing views into the valley below.
60.5 km / 37.5 miles.
3300 msnm - 4650 msnm
Trekking Nature & Culture
02 Min - 08 Max
Salkantay trek of 4 days and 3 nights is a great adventure that will allow you to appreciate Andean and lush green mountains (Cloud forest), streams, rivers and hot springs that will help you relax your body after the physically taxing walk. You can also feel the temperature change along the hiking mountain paths of the tour of Salkantay. You can also enjoy some snow in one of the highest points of the road, 4,630 mts/15, 228 feet above sea level. Finally, the last day (the fifth day) you will enjoy the Grand tour of Machu Picchu City.
Please Note: For travellers who don’t have too many days to hike, or for those who doesn’t feel fit enought to hike the Salkantay trek for 5 days, we have a great alternative trek – Short Humantay & Salkantay 3 days and 2 night to Machu Picchu. Quechuas Expeditions team has prepared a list of Alternative treks on Salkantay Trek
STARTING POINT: Pick-up from 4:30 am to 5:00 am from your Hotel/Airbnb in Cusco.
ENDING POINT: Drop-off in Cusco at Hotel/Airbnb 10:30 pm
DEPARTURE: Daily. If you are a group of 02 we depart, We NEVER pass our people onto another operator as most agencies do.
TOTAL TREKKING DISTANCE: 75 km / 46 ml
MAXIMUM ALTITUDE: 4,630 m / 15,228 ft
ACCOMMODATIONS: 1 nights in Green Eco Dome, 1-night camping, and 1 night in the hostel
MEALS: 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners, 2 tea times + wake-up teas
MACHU PICCHU: Entrance fee included
4-Day Salkantay Trek Highlights:
Sleep in comfort under the stars in our Ecofriendly Sky Green Eco Domes located in private campsite at Soraypampa and Loreta Campsite. Best Campsites Along the the Salkantay Trek:
– Day 1: Soraypampa Campsite at our Green Eco Dome
– Day 2: La Playa Loreta Campsite at our Green Eco Dome
– Visit Humantay Lake and Salkantay Lake
– Enjoy the scenic views of Salkantay Snow Mountain
– Make a small ritual for the Andean gods and learn about Incan religion
– Enjoy our friendly customer service and experienced top guides
– Eat delicious, freshly prepared Peruvian cuisine (Buffet Peruvian Style Food)
– Hike through the different types of landscapes and Sceneries, such as cloud forests, highlands, grassy hills, and Andean valleys
– Reach 4,600 meters (15,000 feet) in elevation along the Salkantay Pass
– Explore Machu Picchu and the surrounding area with expert and knowledgeable tour top guides
– Hike one of National Geographic’s 25 “World’s Best Treks”
Salkantay Day 1: Cusco – Mollepata – Challacancha – Humantay Lake – Soraypampa
We pick you up from your hotel at 4:30 a.m. to drive for about 2 and half hours to Mollepata where we stop to have breakfast and after we will keep driving to challacancha where we start hiking and as Soon as we are at challacancha the cook and the horseman will pack all the camping equipment and cooking stuff and we start hiking the first 25 minutes will be a little bit uphill to get the Water Channel where we will have a nice place with panoramic views of beautiful snow-capped mountains (Humantay; 4120m/13500ft and Salkantay; 6271m/20575ft) – just the start! We will begin our Salkantay trek towards Soraypampa our first Salkantay Trek camping spot (3800 m/11750ft; the highest and coldest campsite of the trip) we will be very close to the second highest Salkantay snow capped -mountain of Cusco. Then after Lunch we will go to Humantay Lake and explore around and the we will walk down to our best campsite of soraypampa.
1ST DAY: Total distance: 15 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 7-8 hours
Maximum altitude point: 3,800 m (aprox.)
Campsite altitude: 3,800 m (aprox.)
Salkantay Day 2: Soraypampa – Salkantay Pass – Chaullay – La Playa – Loreta la Playa Coffe Camp
After having our Salkantay Trek breakfast we start walking about 5:30 am ,because this day will be the longest day the first 4 hours is uphill to get the highest point of the Salkantay Trek (4650m/15200ft) located halfway between 2 huge mountains; Salkantay on the right and Tucarhuay on the left. From the pass, the views of the 2 snow-capped mountains are incredible. There is a possibility of snow here.
After a rest, we will continue our walk (downhill) through a dramatic cloud forest towards Huayracpunku, where we will have lunch. We hike again after lunch in the direction of the start of the jungle until we reach Chaullay Where we take our Local transportation for 1 hour to Get our Lucmabamba Coffe Campsite.
The Reason we stay at this campsite is because the next day we will climb up to mountain where you will find one of the most beautiful inca trail site which is known as Llactapata and you will also see Machu Picchu City from this point.
2ND DAY:Total distance: 19 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 8 – 9 hours
Maximum altitude point: 4,650 m (aprox.)
Campsite altitude: 2,750 m (aprox.)
Salkantay Day 3: La Playa Loreta – Inca Trail Via Llactapata – Hydroelectric – Aguas Calientes
We will have breakfast at 8am and leave our camping spot of Lucmabamba. We walk up on a original Inca Trail to Llactapata site where you will get a chance to see Machupicchu far away (one of the most beautiful place to see Machupicchu) then We continue walking, passing a variety of crop plantations, coca, banana etc. until we reach the hydroelectric station. And after the lunch we keep walking about two and half hours along the train road till reaching Aguas Calientes town where we will spend the night in a hostel. In Aguas Calientes, you can take advantage of the thermal springs in the town (entrance 10 soles) a real treat after finishing the Salkantay Trek
3RD DAY:Total distance: 12 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 7 – 8 hours
Maximum altitude point: 1,600 m (aprox.)
Hostel(aguas calientes) altitude: 1,900 m (aprox.)
Salkantay Day 4: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
Salkantay trek important day ,We wake up early morning about 4 am to then to 4:30 to have the breakfast and leave to walk up to Machupicchu which takes one and half hours up to machupicchu but there is another option to catch the first bus which leaves 5:30 to Machupicchu (25-minutes long) in order to appreciate the magnificent city as the sun is rising.
A walking tour (approximately 2 hours) is given by your Guide and after this you can explore the mysterious city by yourselves. If you still have energy you can also climb Huaynapicchu (2720m/8890ft)!!! It takes 45 minutes to reach the top.and after enjoying machupicchu you have to go down to aguas calientes to take the train back to ollantaytambo and then bus back cusco.
4TH DAY:Total distance: 4 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 1- 2 hours
Maximum altitude point: 2,700 m (aprox.)
SALKANTAY TREK INCLUDES:
– Private Tourist Transportation To Mollepata and Extra 1 hour to Challacancha to get better views and skip the dusty road. (We never share Bus service with other companies as most agencies do here to minimize costs)
– English – Spanish speaking guide for 4 days of the Salkantay and Machupicchu.(All our Guides work for us only) All of them speak Fluent English (Second Guide Over 08 people Group)
– 2 Nights in Dome at SORAYPAMPA & LUCMABAMBA COFFE CAMPSITE ( Twin bed room, Matrimonial bed room, 3 beds room, 4 beds room Accomodation)
– Day 1: Soraypampa Campsite at our Green Sky Dome
– Day 2: Lucmabamba Coffee Campsite at our Green Sky Dome
– Day 3: Aguas Calientes Hotel Accomodation
– Accomodation Overnight in Aguas Calientes(Twin bed room with Private bathroom and shower) Night 3
– Return Tourist Train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo and Bus Transfer to Cusco
– Cook and assistance of the Cook.(We have chosen the best cook/cheffs and all are trained by Quechuas Expeditions every month)
– Cooking equipment (We use New cooking equipment and change all every 3 months)
– Snacks (Fruits, energy bars)
– Daily tea service (Wake up Coca tea and afternoon tea time(Happy hour) with full of popcorn and special snacks made by our cooks)
– Dining equipment including portable chairs and tables
– Food service in the campsites (3 breakfast, 3 lunches, 3 dinners, 3 snacks) – nutritionally balanced menu: Buffet style Plenty of food you will never be hungry with us! as well as Guinea Pig for free because we want you to taste all from Peru.
– Vegetarian and free Gluten menu at no extra cost (Please let us know at the time of booking)
– Local Transportation From La Playa or Lucmabamba to Hydroelectrica Day 3 (For our Staff and Passengers)
– Horseman and Horses.(To carry our camping equipment, food and 7 kilos of your personal stuff like: sleeping bag and mat as well as cothes) We Never overload our Horses(well Animal Welfare). And we will Provide you a Duffel bag(at The Briefing Time) for all your personal stuff to be carried by horses.
– Salkantay Trek and Machupicchu entrance fees, valid for 4 days
– Insurance policy of life for porters and cooks.
– Visit to Machu Picchu on the 4th day (2 hours guide tour to explore the whole incan site)
– Return Tourist Expeditions train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo.(2 hours ride)Train time is Between 6:20pm to 9:30pm. And if you upgrade to Vistadome the train will be at 3:48pm.
– Private Transportation from the train station of Ollantaytambo to Cusco(2 hours drive) and drop off at the hotel.(we only use our Private Transportation. so you will never wait at the train station till the bus of 30 ppl gets full)
– First-aid kit (Our Guide will carry while on the Inca Trail) Please, note all our Guides are trained every year in first-aid)
– Emergency oxygen bottle (Our guide will carry while on the Trail)
– Rain waterproof cover for your day backpacks
– Pre trek Orientation – briefing A day before we do the Trek. (Hotel or Office) Let us know once you are at the office or by email.
– Water for Driking: we will supply with filtered and boiled water and your bottles will be filled at each meal time. Please, bring enough water for the 1st day.
– Free “I survived ” T-shirt and certificate (only for PEOPLE who successfully complete the trek!!!)
SALKANTAY TREK DOESNT INCLUDE: (Please, No hidden costs or surprises)
– Extra expenses
– Breakfast – Day 1
– Lunch and dinner – Day 4
– Not detailed meals
– Tips (optional)
– Travel and health insurance.(bring copies with you please):Quechuas Expeditions highly recommend to get an insurance of trip cancellation/interruption insurance to protect your travel investment. Included with your pre-departure package, bring your travel insurance to cover trip cancellation, interruption, baggage loss and delay, emergency medical evacuation insurance and emergency medical expense insurance.
Precios en el servicio privado
|Numero de personas||Precio por persona|
We need at least 02 of you and Leave any day you suit. All Departures 100% Guaranteed If You’re Booked, You are Going !!! To Confirm and Secure the Permits. Send us the filled out booking form as well as a deposit of US$100 and you are ready to go. Please, (Click here to see method of payments)
Please, Prices are Based On Group size you want us to place you./Please, note: We will Never pass you onto another operator or share service with other companies as most agencies do here.
SALKANTAY TREK (FAQs)Frequently Asked Questions
PRIVATE SERVICE SALKANTAY TREK TO MACHU PICCHU BY Glamping in Domes 4/Days (Dome to Dome)/ Prices are based on Number of people departing that date/ We will leave with minimum of 02 PPL.
02 persons group / US$1250 per person
03 persons group / US$1200 per person
04 persons group / US$1150 per person
05 persons group / US$1050 per person
06-8 persons group / US$999 per person
– Extra Horse to Ride and Horseman to control de Horse(1-2 day only)
– Hotel 3 stars (At Aguas Calientes Town)
– 2 Nights in Dome at SORAYPAMPA & PLAYA LORETA COFFE CAMPSITE ( Twin bed room, Matrimonial bed room, 3 beds room, 4 beds room Accomodation)
– Day 1: Soraypampa Campsite at our Geodesic Dome (Private Shower & Toiltet)
– Day 2: Lucmabamba Coffee Campsite at our Geodesic Dome (Private Shower & Toiltet)
– Entrance to climb Huaynapicchu Mountain or Machupicchu Mountain(based on availability)
– Vistadome Train(First Class train back From Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo)
– Private Van back to cusco from ollantaytambo
– Train Ticket( From Hydroelectric Plant to Aguas Calientes 40 Minutes ride)
– Bus Round Trip ( Aguas Calientes – Machupicchu – Aguas Calientes)
– Bus Down from Machupicchu to Aguas Calientes
– Lunch in Machupicchu or Aguas Calientes
– Sleeping bag / Silk Liner included.
– 02 walking poles per person / Rubber tips included.
– 01 Duffel Bags to carry all your sleeping bag, Self-inflating pad as well as your Clothes.
– Tour Guide to explore Machupicchu and Huaynapicchu all day. and of course we pay a little bit more to our staff and guide
WHAT WE RECOMMEND TO BRING:
– – Original passport and copies (and for those who purchased as students they must bring original university Student card. Note ( you have to bring your student card to machu picchu because you are going to be required to show at the Machupicchu/Inca Trail control point
– Travel Insurance card is essential
– Sleeping bag (not included)
– hiking water proof boots (with ankle protectors )
– Waterproof jacket or rain poncho
– Sun hat and gloves
– T-shirts / shirts
– Comfortable hiking zip off trousers
– Rain pants
– Bathing suit (for hot springs in Aguas Calientes)
– Sun protection cream ( factor 25 recommended )
– Insect Repellent ( for mosquitos )15 % of deet at least
– Water bottle.
– Water purifying tablets (Micropur recommended)
– Toilet paper and wet wipes
– Personal medication
– Camera and films
– Torch with spare batteries (flashlight) we recommend headlights
– Extra contribution suggested in soles money for tipping porters, cook and guide. and for any emergency.
– Previous acclimatization in Cuzco city, for at least 2 days and general good health. Quechuas Expeditions offers easy one day and half day routes which can be completed before the main trek
Frequently Asked Questions
Somos los Mejores Operadores en PERU
Somos Operador Directo del Camino Inca
Somos Tour Operador Local del Camino Inca a Machupicchu, Sin intermediarios ni precios ocultos; tenemos Guías Locales expertos y profesionales.
Soporte completo al cliente
Desde el momento en que recibamos su mensaje, le asignaremos un experto especialista en viajes que atenderá y personalizará cada detalle de su viaje; somos Especialistas Locales
Viajes y tours a medida, Experiencias únicas para todos nuestros viajeros; Organizamos tus próximas vacaciones en Perú para que sean únicas e inigualables
Los mejores especialistas en viajes
Harás tu viaje con expertos locales; Conocemos las mejores rutas y Destinos del Perú; Todo para una experiencia de viaje sin igual.
Nuestra reputación en Tripadvisor
Miles de viajeros que conocen la calidad de nuestros servicios son su garantía de excelencia y calidad de los tours. Nos recomiendan
Amigable con el medio ambiente
En todos nuestros viajes, Somos conscientes del medio ambiente y de la gestión de los residuos sólidos; Somos responsables de nuestra huella de carbono y del respeto a la flora y la fauna.